Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Springtime!

It's been a while since the last update. Lately we have just been doing little things here and there. Dave had his 29th birthday, the boys were pretty excited about that.


Unfortunately for Dave, he ended up with a pretty bad case of food poisoning and was out of commission for almost a week. The dogs took good care of him while I was at work though.

So now that he's back to normal, we've been doing a lot of outdoor work. We planted some arborvitaes next to the dog yard. They're tiny now but eventually they'll make a nice little wall.

I cleaned up the bushes around the house and put down mulch around them. We have some really pretty tulips that popped up that we didn't even know where there. At the end of the summer I plan on planting more of them for next year. Theres all sorts of pretty colors that came up. A couple light pink ones....


A darker pink one that is white in the center...


A nice magenta one...


And my favorite, the purple parrot tulip. It's a gorgeous lilac color with frayed edges. SO COOL!


We also found a few red ones hiding in the back yard.

I planted my lily of valley that Dad brought over. They took to the soil very well and are going to bloom soon!

Dave has been doing a great job keeping the grass looking good.

I don't think I ever mentioned the grave that is in our backyard. Really though, it's not that creepy. We believe it's the grave of someone's beloved pet, either a cat or dog I would assume.

One of our current projects is to replace the windows, which are the super old style wooden windows with weights in them. So far Dave did the one in the bathroom. He replaced the storm window and then installed a nice new window that is not drafty.


The old windows are going to be re-purposed into some cool projects later on.

Another project we are working on is the shutters. They are currently a very worn out black. Dave has been taking them down and we are going to scrub them clean and spray paint them burgundy to match the roof. I will post pictures of those as we do more of them.

This weekend we are heading to Brimfield for the Antique Fair. Hopefully we'll get some good ideas for decorating the house. Maybe we'll find some cool treasures to take home. I am a big fan of depression glass, I've started a small collection. Especially the aqua blue stuff, we have some in our kitchen. Hopefully by the weekend we'll have some more of the shutters done so I can post those pictures up and maybe some pictures from the fair!






2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the parrot tulip. I've never seen one before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what is cooler, the new windows or that wacky tulip! =)

    ReplyDelete